Adventure Dolphin provide a Level 3 Basic Expedition Leadership (BEL) Certificate course, through Sports Leaders UK. It is designed for all with a responsibility for looking after others (particularly young people), or those who wish to train others in carrying out different types of expeditions including camping. It is a well recognised qualification for those who work in youth clubs and DofE Centres.
The training given to participants includes:
- Leading walking groups in lowland countryside;
- Teaching the knowledge and skills needed to undertake a day walk;
- Having responsibility for others, while leading a day walk in the countryside;
- Planing and leading overnight base and mobile camps.
Typically, the courses involve attending a number of evening and weekend sessions and a final assessment weekend.
Grants may be available to DofE leaders who volunteer in West Berkshire.
- You must be a minimum of 17 years (18 at qualification). there is no upper age limit
- There is no prior knowledge or skill needed just a passion for the outdoors and some walking fitness.
- Although a First Aid Certificate is not required to gain the qualification it is highly recommended and may be mandatory depending on the organisation you work with
Further information on the award can be found here http://association.sportsleaders.org/